Dragonflies love the sunny weather we’ve been having in the UK. They need warmth to be able to fly, so you will have had a good chance of seeing them lately. I found this blog for more in depth information about their behaviour to weather by Dragonfly woman, an interesting read.
Quick facts are:
- they don’t like to fly in rain or stong winds
- Dragonflies have been around for millions of years
- Hatched larvae live in the water for 1-2 years
- Dragonfly eat when flying
- They can fly in all directions, even backwards and upside down!
I’ve painted a new dragonfly vase this week. It has a crackle glaze on the lower half, which I think works well. The dragonfly are painted in my usual style with an outliner on their wings and turquoise and emerald green glass paints. This seems to be the most popluar colour combination but I can of course paint different colours.
Have you seen many dragonflies this year?